Wednesday, December 06, 2006

O'Brilliant

This weekend I was reminded of an old favorite speech. You may remember Conan O'Brien’s Commencement Speech to the Harvard Class of 2000 from the email that was forwarded eight billion times to everyone and their mother about six years ago. But it’s so brilliant, it definitely merits a reread every year or so. Not only is it ingeniously crafted and laugh-out-loud funny, but it also contains some great advice on surviving this journey we call life.

It starts here and only gets better. Be sure to click here and read through to the very end, as the last line is one of my favorite quotes in existence, not to mention my life motto.

"I'd like to thank the Class Marshals for inviting me here today. The last time I was invited to Harvard it cost me $110,000, so you'll forgive me if I'm a bit suspicious. I'd like to announce up front that I have one goal this afternoon: to be half as funny as tomorrow's Commencement Speaker, Moral Philosopher and Economist, Amartya Sen. Must get more laughs than seminal wage/price theoretician.

Students of the Harvard Class of 2000, fifteen years ago I sat where you sit now and I thought exactly what you are now thinking: What's going to happen to me? Will I find my place in the world? Am I really graduating a virgin? I still have 24 hours and my roommate's Mom is hot. I swear she was checking me out.

Being here today is very special for me. I miss this place. I especially miss Harvard Square - it's so unique. Nowhere else in the world will you find a man with a turban wearing a Red Sox jacket and working in a lesbian bookstore. Hey, I'm just glad my dad's working."

No comments: