Monday, August 14, 2006

pre-teen nostalgia



does anyone remember the teen soap opera swan's crossing? my god, that was some hot shit! i was OBSESSED with this show back in the summer of 1992 when i babysat 40 hours a week. i couldn't peel myself away from the trials of tributlations of the sexy swan's crossing residents Sydney Rutledge (aka Sarah Michelle Gellar,) Garret Booth (aka Shane McDermott, an even whiter-bred, suburban-mom approved version of Vanilla Ice meets Zach Morris) and Mila Rosnofksy (aka Brittany Daniel.) this show launched many-a- fantastic career. there's no need to go into the resume of dear mrs. gellar, but how many of you watched or will admit to watching the hot "gleaming the cube" rip-off Airborne starring McDermott...anyone? anyone? i didn't think so. if you need to waste two hours of your life i can't think of a more painful way to do so. and fair brittany who's amazing acting repertoire includes Sweet Valley High and her short but super sweet role as Eve Whitman, the seductive temptress that sailed her way into dawson's creek one season.

as i sit here in my office, bitter and annoyed that i'm at my desk instead of watching re-runs of swan's crossing i find myself wishing i was 13 again...nerdy, boyless, acne-ridden, neon hypercolor clothing and all.

5 comments:

e-bro said...

sweet, laurin. i've never heard of swan's crossing. you're the most fun to waste a day of grumpy faced non-work with...virtually...with the aid of you tube.

QuarBy said...

gosh airborne looks hilarious and awful! rad post.

Anonymous said...

hot damn! haven't thought about swans crossing in years! didn't realize smg was on it. what a young fruit-cake i was. this show may be the reason i enjoy teenie-bopper movies like "mean girls," "can't hardly wait," and "10 things i hate about you" now.

Anonymous said...

sometimes i feel like an alien visiting a weird planet, it's like, swan's crossing? crazytown! next thing you'll tell me is that apes run this strange, strange world. then i see that statue of liberty on the beach and i rip my shirt of and curse the human race.

e.v.jose said...

Laurin, this is how sad I am. I remember being what, 15? It was that spring before my junior year in high school. Swan's Crossing was either something to pass the time after Neighbours came on, or an eventual fascination with SMG that had me moving on to view her brilliant arc as the best.Kendall.ever. on All My Children, when school went out.

Like, I wanted Mila's room by the end of Swan's Crossing. Like I told you, I would sing along to that chic who was always in that lame-ass town cafe, singing "Talkin' sweet as huh-ney, but you ain't gonna git too faaaararrrrarrrrrr!!" I really thought it was on for her real-life singing career. "She's the next Martika!" I mused. That didn't happen, did it?

How sad is it that the next best annoying teen show, Fifteen, gave the world Ryan "Alanis'-bone" Reynolds? Is there no justice in the world?