Friday, April 27, 2007

Happy Birthday Johnny’s Butt

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the Best Movie Ever. This movie, though it pretty much goes without saying, is Dirty Dancing. In celebration of it’s 20th birthday, I watched this brilliant film outdoors on a lovely New York night next to the Hudson River with hundreds of other fans that love it just as much, well, almost as much, as I do.

This movie has spent two decades teaching young girls that you CAN change the world. If you speak up for yourself, you CAN make a difference. And, if you work really hard, practicing your dance steps day and night, you CAN hump the hot summer camp dance instructor from the wrong side of the tracks.

This last message is the one that spoke most strongly to me as an impressionable youth. And I think it had very much to do with this scene. I don’t know if I can go as far saying that this brief, blink-and-you-miss-it shot inspired my sexual awakening. But it came pretty damn close. And before you watch this masterpiece that I just spent a better part of my morning creating, let me be the first to say: yes, I’m a dork, and yes, I really need to get a job. Enjoy…

No comments: