Monday, July 23, 2007

Words of comfort

Immediately following the pipe explosion and steam blast that rocked midtown last Wednesday, many New Yorkers were concerned it was terrorism. But Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg comforted us all, explaining: “There is no reason to believe this is anything other than a failure of our infrastructure.”

This is supposed to make us feel better? Nope, no terrorists, but the foundation on which this city has stood for the past hundreds of years is now failing. Not just failing, but exploding, apparently.

Frankly, I’m amazed that this city functions at all. With pipes and tunnels dating back to the 1800’s being used by millions and millions of people daily, I’m surprised we don’t have crazy explosions every day. I’m surprised the traffic lights continue to change from red to green.

Every time I turn on my faucet, I rejoice in the minor miracle that water comes out.

No comments: